Rachael Ray

Rachael Ray
SEE ME ON RACHAEL RAY - JUST CLICK THE PICTURE ABOVE! :D

Sunday, January 30, 2011

HCG Testing and My Next Project :D

This week I finished up my last round of HCG with pellets. Wednesday was day 23, then 3 days of VLCD. Like I wrote in my last post about HCG, I said I would run some tests when I was at the end. These test were just out of my own curiosity, and for my information. Skeptics claim that you can do the 500 calorie diet with out drops and lose weight, which you can, and I tried and already reported about it(miserable, and no effect on TOM?). By doing just 500 calories, you would potentially put your body into starvation mode – or ketosis – which forces your body/brain to utilize ketones for energy instead of glucose (your brain alone needs 100g carbs to function). The Atkins Diet intentionally puts you into a state of ketosis to burn predominantly fat and not carbs. You want to be in ketosis vs your body eating muscle tissue. I was able to obtain a home urine test kit, and tested from day 23-27 for ketosis. Every day I actually tested negative for ketosis…


Skeptics also claim that any low calorie/low carb diet that puts you in ketosis will shut down or slow your metabolism and maybe harmful on the liver. By being in Ketosis, your body won’t want to let go of any energy it has, so, it will slow your metabolism down and cause you to store what little you are getting. To test this theory, I went to a local gym and had my RMR tested. This is tested first thing in the AM on a 12 hour, complete fast. If my metabolism were to have slowed, then it would show.

I went in first thing Friday morning, and got hooked up as pictured above :) When I worked at the Treehouse, we had this equipment, and would test ourselves all the time. I was heavier at the time, but I would generally test in the 1700-1800 range, which would be slightly slow to normal for my height, weight(at the time), age, and gender. After 12 minutes of breathing into the machine, I got my results. Drum roll .,.,.,.,.,., 1642!



I didn’t know quite what I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised! Compared to all other women of the same height, weight and age, I tested 9% above average/normal. My RQ was a .72, which shows me burning predominantly fat for my fuel source. Hmmm… Interesting… the trainer that conducted my test was also intrigued by all of this. So, after being on hCG for 23 days and eating only 500 calories for the 23 days, my metabolism was higher than normal, and I was burning fat for fuel – not protein, not carbs, but fat… I am only 1 person, so it’s hard to validate my results, but after everything I have been through, it’s enough for me to feel comfortable using HCG.

I've helped well over 500 people so far, and always ask them them their numbers, how they are feeling, what is going on, and what their thoughts are. For me, there are too many factors that show that it works. It definitely isn't for everyone, but I know many are curious. If you are one of the curious, make sure you educate yourself first, and talk to your family doctor. There are a few categories of people that I feel could benefit from doing HCG; 1 - Those that are so over weight that exercise is just not possible. 2 - Those that don't enjoy/like exercising, won't make time for it, or just flat out won't do it. 3 - Those with knee/hip/back or other joint problems, or any other physical disabilities that won't allow them to work out properly. 4 - Those that are dieting and exercising, and have changed it up, but are still stuck at a plateau and just can't get through it(this was me). 5 - Someone who may have a slower metabolism and is looking to give it a jump start. I would recommend people that feel they fall in this category to first check with their doctor first and possibly have their thyroid tested.

If you are only looking to lose those last 10-20lbs, I would think twice. It is a difficult diet, more mentally than physically. Unlike drugs and alcohol addictions, we must have food. Everything evolves around food. Food is everywhere. You can't just quite food. You are supposed to stay on for a minimum of 23 days, so, you have to weigh if it is worth it or not. And remember, this is supposed to target abnormal fat, not normal fat. But our definition of abnormal fat, and our genetics definition of abnormal fat are two different things, and unfortunately, genetics win. I have always had a backside and thighs. While I did lose in those areas, it wasn't as much as I would have liked. I blame my dad for this. :P I lost most of my inches off of my bust, waist, abdomen, and hips, but I'm ok with that. :D

I am now done with my own personal HCG experience, but I look forward to helping others with theirs. Two things I can guarantee about HCG is if 1 - you follow the protocol, you will lose weight. But at the same, 2 - if you don't change your habits and you go back to your old ways after HCG, I guarantee you will gain the weight back, but it is that way with any diet. Check out this article about "Biggest Loser" contestants. (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28449267/ns/today-biggest_loser_on_today/
What the bottom line comes down to is that you have to be ready to make a life time commitment and change, no matter what path you choose. It won't be easy, but if you plan, prepare, commit, and execute your decision, you will succeed, and it will be worth it. Once you have gotten the weight off, take your new body and use it! Get out and have fun! Be active, move, dance, run, play, live! Do this for you, and you only, and you will have long lasting results.

Now that I have gotten my weight off, time to tighten it all up! My next project is going to be ChaLEAN Extreme and Shakeology. I gave my self a free day today, and am going to start the 3 day Shakeology Cleanse tomorrow ( http://myshakeology.com/esuite/home/candiceekberg ) along with ChaLEAN. I will take before and after pictures and blog about my experience. I want to get as lean as possible. I know this will mainly have to come from diet, which is my weakness, so if ya see me around food, keep me accountable ;) Wish me luck, and Happy Losing!


19 comments:

Kimberly C said...

Hi Candace!
I am enjoying reading your blog and I have a question for you. Two years ago I became a certified Jazzercise instructor. During the training time I lost about 40 pounds. I have kept that weight off for over a year, but cannot seem to lose anymore. Believe it or not, I teach Jazzercise and weight about 190 (I'm 5'6). I am wanting to lose 40 more pounds, but I just can't seem to get the scale to budge even with teaching four times a week and jogging the other three. I have been considering the HCG drops, here is my question....Will I still be able/have enough energy to teach my classes with only 500 calories each day? Thanks so much for your help! Kimberly
kchosewood@yahoo.com

Ask a Personal Trainer Anything! said...

Thanks Kimberly! And great for you! It sounds like your body has hit a platuea - Our bodies are very adaptable. If you keep doing the same thing over and over again, it gets comfortable and doesn't find the need to let go of any more weight. So you are at the point where you need to change things up. Do something completely different than what you have been doing. That is one reason I do like to use HCG - as a "platue buster," but if you are wanting to keep teaching through it, I would maybe recommend having a protein drink on the days you teach. You will still be able to lose the weight, it just may take longer, and you may find yourself more tired. Your body is walking a fine line between fat burning and starvation mode, so if you are too active, you may stall and need to cut back. But it's only while on the drops, which is only 23-40 days... once off, you can start back to working out again. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Victoria said...

Hi Candice

Do you shop your HCG pellets to the UK? Or do you know of a reliable source in UK?

Thanks!

V

Ask a Personal Trainer Anything! said...

Hi Victoria! I do not know of a source in the UK, sorry... but I probably can ship to you, and just have you pay shipping charges? I'll find out how much it would be if you want - what town are you in? But if you end up getting it somewhere else, I understand, but know that you are completely welcome to follow along and inquire here for any help :)

Ask a Personal Trainer Anything! said...

Victoria - I asked my partner and he said he has shipped to the UK before and it was about $12, so not too bad. Let me know :)

Alice said...

Hi Candice,

I live in the uk and would also be intersted in buying from you, $12 sounds reasonable

Alice

Ask a Personal Trainer Anything! said...

Hi Alice - and anyone else interested from the UK - go a head and email me at iluvtnf@aol.com and I can send you a seperate paypal request, and the instructions/protocol. Be sure to include your address, what product you want, and how many of that product. If you are planning on multiple rounds, it would save you shipping to buy more than one at a time. I will work on getting a seperate shopping tab for UK. Thank you for your inquires, and I look forward to working with you!!!

Kelly Messina said...

Hi Candice,

When did you try the hCG diet and how long have you maintained you weight loss? After reading your blog, I am still confused as to which you used or prefered, the drops or the pellets...I just heard about this diet, but have read both negative and positive reviews. I lost about 40 pounds using adipex (an appetite suppressant) over a period of a year...had wonderful results. But in the last 3 years have put about 17 pounds back on. Trying to use it again, I have had horrible results. I think it messed up my metabolism. I had my thyrod tested and all was fine. I am turning 40 next week and am in perfect health otherwise. Just wondering about the actual diet plan...what do you eat, what the phases mean? Thanks, Kelly

Ask a Personal Trainer Anything! said...

Hi Kelly! I started the HCG Diet in May of last year (you can search my archives and read about it). I completed my first round in June and had lost 27lbs. Maintained that for the most part except a few, and I still wanted to lose more, so after a vacay to Hawaii, I decided to do a second round. I lost another 20 lbs. I then started hitting the workouts hard with the Inasnity program (which is hard, but fun!) and did well, but got sick, had some work conferences, then the holidays (excuses, excuses, excuses :P) and I put a few lbs back on. But that is when we got the pellets in, so I decided to do one last round to try those out and get the holiday weight off. I started out at 191, and I now fluctuate between 153-155, and am 5'9"

There absolutely both negatives and positives, and that is something you have to weigh for yourself. For me the postives outweighed the negatives, and it worked. It is a hard diet, and is not for everyone. But I personally think it would be much safer and better than using an appetite suppressant... It teaches you how to eat healthy foods, and how to listen to your body, and how food makes you feel. The claims of HCG are to reset the diencephalon of the brain. If you want to send me an email at Iluvtnf@aol.com, I will forward you the information that I have, that will explain what foods, and the phases, and everything else. Good luck! :)

just1piece said...

could you tell me what the sugar detox is??

Ask a Personal Trainer Anything! said...

Absolutely! It's one Dr. Oz challenged people to do in October of 2009 - http://www.doctoroz.com/challenge/sugar-detox
I blogged my whole experience with it starting in November of 2009. You can look it up in my archievs. It's a great way to start feeling good. Let me know if you have any questions on it!

Unknown said...

Hi Candace...
Wow, you look FAB! I am a CrossFit trainer (similar in theory to P90X) and was plagued in 2010 with illness and injury. In a period of 4 months I was on 9 different antibiotics and had 4 steroid shots. In the process, despite eating clean, I gained 10 pounds...not happy. I really think all the stuff they had me on caused the weight gain. Now healthy, I started back training/eating clean. This 10# won't budge. I decided to try the HCG diet...I have lost 4 pounds, but am having a hard time on it. I am STARVING. 500 calories ain't cutting it when I'm used to approx. 2000. I've cut back CrossFitting as the protocol calls for light exercise, but I'm still so hungry. Do you have any suggestions?

Ask a Personal Trainer Anything! said...

Hi Val - friend me on FB under "Candice Ekberg" - I'd love to talk about Cross Fit. I live in a small town, so we don't really have it here, but I've had people ask/talk about it. Soudns like you've had it rough :( Steroids will definitely do that to ya.

As far as HCG goes, you definitely don't want to be doing crossfit on it. The protocol recommends no more than 30 minutes of walking a day. I just did simple weights, and was fine with that, but only 3-4x a week. Try increasing your protein serving size a little bit, or add some cottage cheese to your fruit, and have it around 10 and 2 as a snack instead of with your meal. And make sure you are eating on the 500-530 calorie range... hopefully that will help. If you email me at iluvtnf@aol.com, I have a full document of other tips that may help. This diet is definitely harder to do to get that last 10 off. Hang in there, and let me know if I can help with anything else!

Heather said...

Hi Candice!



Congrats - you look AMAZING!!! I have just completed my second short round of hCG and went from approx. 145 to 108 pounds!! (I am 5'1'). After my first round I started incorporating some cardio (45 min on the treadmill) daily and the first 3 days I did I gained 1 pound per day!!! I obviously freaked out and stopped and took a couple of months off and did another short round losing my last 10 pounds. Now I am desperate to toneup - I bought P90X and want to give it a try but I am worried if I was gaining doing cardio that I will most certainly gain doing weight work!! I am currently in the middle of week 1 of maintenance. Do you think it would be ok to start it now or should I wait? Any thoughts on the weight gain? I really want to maintain my weight and avoid the steak days if I am gaining due to exercise!



Thanks in advance!

Ask a Personal Trainer Anything! said...

Hi Heather!

Thanks! Sounds like you did really well with it. But my #1 tip to you now that you are done with HCG, and will be doing P90X - TOSS THE SCALE :) Whe you start working out, of course you are going to gain. There are a lot of different process going on. You are doing tissue damage, which causes inflammation and for you to retain more water to help repair the damage. You will increase muscle mass, which is great! Muscle burns fat. By adding an extra 5lbs of lean muscle mass, you can increase your metabolism up to an additional 200 calories a day! My LIW was 153. I initally went up to 157-159 after coming off of HCG, but after doing several weeks of ChaLEAN, Brazil But Lift, and clean eating plus Shakeology, I am now back down to 152-153 and have decreased my BF% even more. I would say go for it, or as least start working out some, and then as soon as you are done with stabilization, hit it hard, and eat right, an focus on how you feel and look, not the scale. Hope that helps I know I haven't done a steak day at all, and have been just fine :)

Unknown said...

HI Candace---Just got my drops and want to start today. I'm a little confused about how many drops per day to use.
Do I use 10 drops before breakfast, lunch and dinner for a total of 30? or 10 drops per day?
Help???!
Thanks in advance :)
Sharon

Ask a Personal Trainer Anything! said...

Hi Sharon! If you went through Local HCG, I know theirs recommends 10 drops, 3 x a day. Make sure you wait 15-20 minutes before and after eating. Other companys may have different directions, so make sure you follow your companies. Good luck to ya!

Carrie said...

Hi I have just read your blog and am very interested in what you have reviewed etc about the HCG diet.
I have been thinking of doing this for a while BUT i am a vegetarian so I am really struggling to think of other foods i can have to compensate for me not eating meat. I will have egg every now and again but every day is a bit much!
Any advice tips etc would be greatful. I amm 5ft8 currently weight 212lbs and my bmi is 32. i have been exercising 5 days a week for about 6 months now burning approxmiately 800 calories per session but nothing is shifting the weight... Information would be so helpful.

caz_za14@hotmail.com


thank you in advance


Carrie

Ask a Personal Trainer Anything! said...

Hope you got my email Carrie :)