Rachael Ray

Rachael Ray
SEE ME ON RACHAEL RAY - JUST CLICK THE PICTURE ABOVE! :D

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

ChaLEAN Week 2, and HEALTHY, FUN SNACKS!

I survived another week of ChaLEAN, and I'm really starting to like it! It's getting easier, but I'm pushing harder, if that makes sense? I've bumped all my weights up, and I even grabbed some creatine from GNC to help with muscles recovery and strengthening. I potentially have a BIG project in the next couple of weeks that I want to look good for, so I've added in some pyramid squats, and dead lifts, and have started Brazilian Butt Lift - WOW, sooo glad I got that creatine - I have been sore! Feels really good though :) I did my measurements yesterday morning, and I have maintained perfectly between 152-154lbs, and 18-20% BF(the BIA can easily fluctuate due to hydration), and all of my inches have stayed the same! It takes a good 2 weeks for your body to adjust to something new (major DOMS factor), so now that I am through that, I'm hoping to start maximizing my results and hit the nutrition hard.

The Brazilian Butt Lift came with a 6 day "Super Model" nutrition guide, that I am going to try. It's low calorie, but since I am doing ChaLEAN as well, I will increase my serving sizes. I know nutrition can be a tricky thing, especially when there are so many different diets/theories/ideas out there, but it's a matter of finding balance, and something you can stick with. It's also important to be able to enjoy occasional treats/snacks - after all, food was meant to be enjoyed!

Here are a couple of my favorite snacks/treats, and other healthy ideas. Remember, carbs are great for your body - they are our #1 fuel source. It's bad/processed/refined carbs that are bad for our body. Check the label for whole wheat, whole grain, etc, and the higher the fiber the content, the better :)


BREAKFAST IDEAS:

Whole Wheat Banana Nut Pancakes:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, well beaten
2 cups milk (use skim for less calories/fat)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (****use flax seed instead of oil for the 'nut' part)
1-2 ripe/mashed bananas

Mix dry ingredients then add wet - mix till slightly lumpy. Makes about 16 medium sized cakes
NUTRITION: 1 cake = 65 calories, 2g fat, .5g saturated fat, 9.5g carbs, 1g sugar, 3.5g protein, 2g fiber.

I like to make mini ones and freeze them for my little one - just pop them in the toaster when ready to eat. Use fruit compote or preserves instead of syrup - less calories!

Another variation of Pancake are my current favorite - they are much quicker, and have more protein...

PROTEIN PANCAKE:


1c Oatmeal
1/2 c fat free cottage cheese
1/3-1/2c skim milk(depends on how thin/thick you like them)
1 whole egg (egg yolks are beneficial)
1/2tsp baking soda
2-3packets of truvia
Cinnamon to taste

Throw everything in blender, and blend till slightly lumpy - it may be easier to blend oatmeal first, then add the remaining ingredients. Pour on hot skillet - about 3-4inch circles - one batch makes 8 cakes. I like to add a TBSP of Adam's Peanut Butter on top of mine.
NUTRITION: 1 cake - 60 cal, 2g fat, 8g carbs, 1g fiber, 1g sugar, 4g protein!

EGG WHITE OMELET:

1 whole egg mixed with 3 egg whites, or liquid eggs

Saute with olive oil or spray pan with PAM:
1/2 red pepper
1/2 green pepper
1/2 yellow pepper
1/2 purple onion
1 small can of mushrooms, or fresh mushrooms
garlic salt/pepper to taste
cook until desired consistency. Set aside. I usually cook in bulk so that I can use this mixture with other meals.
Pour egg mixture into pan, and let cook until desired consistency, then add about 1/4c - 1/2c of pepper mixture(or as much as you want, since veggies are good for you :)

I pair it with a piece of Wheat and Fiber bread for my carb (or you can pair with protein pancakes!)
NUTRITION: 275 calories, 9g fat(good) 25g pro, 25g carb, 8g fiber, 7 g sugar


SNACKS:

BEAN SALSA

1 can of black beans
1 can corn
1 can black eyed peas
1 can diced tomatoes(or 3 fresh diced)
1 green pepper - diced
1/4 purple onion - diced
bottle of Italian dressing - I use light

Combine all ingredients. Mix in enough dressing to wet all ingredients. Use organic, or high fiber chips for dipping (I like Don Juilo brand - 5g fiber per 8 chips, or Wheat Thins - Fiber Selects - 5g fiber) Will keep in air tight container in fridge for up to a week!


DELI WRAPS:

Tortilla (whole wheat will always be healthier)
1 Tbsp Light Cream Cheese
2-4 slices of Deli meat (Turkey is my favorite)
lettuce
mustard

Spread cream cheese on tortilla, place meat, then other desired toppings, then roll up and cut into inch slices!

This can also be done with peanut butter (I like Adam's) and bananas - just spread the peanut butter, then place the banana and wrap it up and slice!

CREAM CHEESE APPLE DIP:

1 stick of cream cheese (light is better)
1 cup of brown sugar (or splenda, agavae, truvia - any sugar alternative would be ok, just might have to cut in 1/2)
Heath Toffee bits or raisins

Blend all together till creamy

Slice up Granny Smith apples to dip!

POPCORN:


Toss 2 TBSP (100 cal, 24g carb, 6g fiber, 4g protein) of popcorn kernels in a bowl or container with a few drops of olive oil, or spray with PAM. Toss till evenly coated, then pour into a brown paper bag. Fold and tape bag shut. Microwave for 1:30-2:00 minutes, or until there is a delay between popping. Open bag and sprinkle with any seasonings - I found the toppings in the picture for $2.00 at Walmart. Very low calorie, and great way to add flavor. I like Kettle corn, and there is only 1g sugar, for a 1/4 tsp. ***using olive oil will add fat, but both methods worked the same.


I got this one from a friend, and it's almost like a Pumpkin Pie Cake :)
PUMPKIN SPICE PROTEIN CAKE

Preheat oven to 350- grease a 8x8 or similar sized casserole sized dish with cooking spray or brush on olive oil

In a blender (or food processor) combine:
...
1 egg (or 1/4 c. of egg beaters)
1 c. cottage cheese
1 apple (cored and sliced...leave peel on)
1/2 c. of canned pumpkin
pumpkin pie spice seasoning to taste
1/4 c. of sugar free Torani caramel syrup (I didn't have this, so I used 2TBSP Agave, and that worked ok, or you can leave out)

Blend until smooth then add:

1 c. oats
1/2 c. nuts (optional)
1 tsp baking soda
sweetener to taste (I used 6 packets of truvia)

Blend again until smooth

Pour into a mixing bowl and add 4 scoops of protein powder (chocolate flavor works well but so does vanilla)

Mix until blended and pour into greased pan....bake 30+ min. depending on pan size until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean

ENJOY! :)

2 comments:

proudmomm said...

Ok I am going to ask on here because I think everyone would like to know. How much of what do I need each day?
Like Carbs, protein etc.

Ask a Personal Trainer Anything! said...

I'm actually getting ready to do another "article" type post, and am going to have it focus on nutrition 101 :) So stay tuned the next 2-3 days! Will have all the answers to your questions!