Rachael Ray

Rachael Ray
SEE ME ON RACHAEL RAY - JUST CLICK THE PICTURE ABOVE! :D

Monday, June 21, 2010

Help needed... anyone up to try something new?

Like many of you, I'm finding that I am having a difficult time not having a plan. Free will tends to lead to lack of will power... but at the same time, I am tired of being on a "diet." I've been reading several programs, and concepts, and want to try piecing some things together to develope my own program. This is a work in progress, and I will probably change things as I go. I'm inviting anyone to try it out with me, and would love any input, suggestions, ideas, and feedback.

Here's what I am thinking

* 4-5 meals a day - 3 of those actual meals, 1-2 can be a snack.
* Each meal should consist of a lean protein, veggies, and a fruit, and some form of healthy fat. Try to avoid high glycemic fruit for breakfast though.
* You can eat as many veggies as you want, but try to stick to 1 piece of fruit per meal, since it is high in sugar, and favor lower glycemic fruits.
* 1 carb/grain a day - must be whole grain, and just 1 regular serving size. This can be brown rice, whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, sweet potato, oatmeal, legumes, fiber cereals, etc.
* Avoid proccessed foods. "If it's white, it ain't right." And try to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup where possible. Avoid saturated fats.
* Stevia, and agave are ok to use. Dairy is allowed, but low fat, and no more than 3 servings a day. Raw nuts are ok, but no more than 1 serving a day.
* Eat every 3-4 hours, and lots of water in between.
* I recommend fish oil, a green tea supplement, and a multi-vitamin
* You get 2 "cheats" per week - meaning, if you want a serving of ice cream, you can have one! But they can't be in the same day, and stick to the serving size - it doesn't mean a whole pint - and you must have worked out that day!
* Once a month, you can have a "free day", but you give up yor 2 "cheats" for that week. So if there is a bbq coming up, or a favorite restaurant you are craving - plan accordingly!
* Try and shoot for the minimum exercise recommendation of 150 minutes a week - Thats only 30 minutes a day - 5 days a week! Walk, ride a bike, hike, heavy yard or house work, weight lifting - just move and be active!

K - I think that covers it! Like I said, I will probably change, or add things as I go. I'm open to any ideas, suggestions, and feedback! Good Luck!!!

2 comments:

Angie said...

I would love to try this out with you! When I did fat club (LA Weight Loss) their plan was pretty similar... I had to eat 2 1/2 proteins, 2 fats, 2 Fruits, 2 Dairy, 3 starches and it worked! But never accounted for cheats! I like the CHEATS!

Ask a Personal Trainer Anything! said...

Great! Keep me posted! I just know that people will cheat, and it seems that when you are told you can't have something, the more you want it! Then they slip, beat themselves up over it, then cheat some more, then throw in the flag. Food is meant to be enjoyed - not to torture us! All in moderation. :)